WWE has announced a new addition to its 2022 pay-per-view schedule.
It was revealed via the Philadelphia Inquirer today that Extreme Rules 2022 will take place at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday, October 8. WWE previously didn't have a PPV event scheduled for October.
The event will be WWE's first PPV in Philadelphia since the Wells Fargo Center hosted Elimination Chamber in March 2020. That was WWE's final PPV before the company was affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tickets for Extreme Rules will go on sale to the general public on Friday, July 15 at 10 a.m. Eastern time. WWE has also opened up a mailing list for those interested in receiving pre-sale information.
Paul Heyman spoke to the Philadelphia Inquirer about Extreme Rules coming to the former home city of ECW. Heyman said performing in Philly is a "litmus test" for pro wrestlers:
It’s a litmus test. There’s an honesty from the Philadelphia sports fan that comes through, that permeates through the television set when you watch these events on television. There’s no BS from a Philadelphia crowd. If they like you, they will reward you and bestow on you an affirmation that is quite -- no pun intended -- extreme and if they don’t like you and don’t like what you’re presenting, their negative reaction is quite -- no pun intended -- extreme. You’re going to know where you stand when you perform in Philly.
Last year's Extreme Rules was held in Columbus, Ohio. In the main event, Roman Reigns defeated "The Demon" Finn Balor in an extreme rules match to retain the Universal Championship.
WWE's updated PPV schedule for the remainder of 2022 is listed below:
- Saturday, July 2: Money in the Bank at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Saturday, July 30: SummerSlam at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee
- Saturday, September 3: Clash at the Castle at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales
- Saturday, October 8: Extreme Rules at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Saturday, November 5: Crown Jewel in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Saturday, November 26: Survivor Series at TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts