About Us  |   Contact

WWE announces update on NXT Championship status

With Finn Balor undergoing surgery for his broken jaw, WWE has announced an update on how they're handling the situation with Balor's NXT Championship.

There was a brief segment on tonight's NXT where WWE gave an update on the status of the title. McKenzie Mitchell said it appeared that Balor wouldn't require surgery at first, but he underwent surgery after seeing a specialist. Mitchell said NXT General Manager William Regal told her earlier today that they're going to give it a few weeks and see how Balor recovers post-surgery. Regal said they'll then be able to make a better decision about what to do with the NXT Championship.

Balor broke his jaw in two places while retaining the NXT Championship against Kyle O'Reilly in the main event of TakeOver 31 on October 4. Balor announced on social media this week that he underwent surgery for the injury last Friday.

"Recovering from a successful surgery with @dr.anuppatel, @dr.edgarsosa and nurse @verolaguera," Balor wrote. "Last Friday, i underwent surgery for 2 fractures of my jaw, including one going into my tooth. After the tooth was removed, I was wired shut to restore my bite and help align the fractures. Then 3 plates where screwed in to fixate the fractures for a quick recovery. Thankfully no wires were needed after surgery!"

Balor won the NXT Championship by defeating Adam Cole for the then-vacant title at NXT Super Tuesday II last month. Karrion Kross had won the title from Keith Lee in the main event of TakeOver XXX this August, but Kross had to vacate the title due to suffering a separated shoulder during that match.

This is Balor's second reign as NXT Champion. He first held the title from July 2015 to April 2016.