While there were no long diatribes or fights as part of the AEW Full Gear post-event press conference, there were a few interesting bits of news that came out of it.
Arguably the biggest is that AEW's next pay-per-view has a date and location as Revolution will emanate from San Francisco's Chase Center on Sunday, March 5th.
Tony Khan was also asked point blank if CM Punk had anything to do with Colt Cabana not being on the roster to which Khan replied that Punk never asked for Cabana to be removed from the AEW locker room.
He justified the use of Cabana in the recent ROH title challenge of Chris Jericho and thought it made a lot of sense given the other champions Jericho has faced. He said Cabana was 2-0 in ROH so the booking made sense.
Khan said PPV buys for tonight were trending similar to other shows this year and could be in the 140,000 range or better.
Khan was interrupted by new AEW World Champion MJF who launched into a full expletive-laden promo, ripping on the media, fans and even Tony Khan for believing him over the past few weeks. He wouldn't talk about William Regal's action and said he is on his way on a jet tomorrow morning to a movie set and didn't answer any questions. This is worth a watch for the intensity.
Here are some additional news bits from Khan:
- Khan talked about having The Elite back.
- Khan still hasn't got exact deals on their London debut, but are working on it. He said it could be really great revenue for the company and used tonight's revenue as a comparison/goal.
- Khan said he considered different options with weekly ROH TV (namely YouTube) but doesn’t want to jump into something when there are a lot of options out there. “It deserves something better," he said. He is still optimistic about getting a weekly ROH tv show.
- Khan said The Elite never considered changing their names to the Wayward Sons. He thought the use of the Kansas song "Carry On My Wayward Son" was a great idea and compared the licensing conversations to a trade with two sides when it comes to negotiating. He is very open to using the song again and it's very likely that will happen.
- Khan said The Elite have come back in previous roles and have assumed responsibilities like with the video game and backstage. He said it's great to have them back on-screen and behind the scenes.
- Khan has been in contact with Hangman Page and Adam Cole but has no update on their return. He also didn't answer on the status of Miro or Andrade, saying they have a deep roster and use a lot of different people.
- Khan has had conversations with NJPW about talent appearing at Wrestle Kingdom. He's optimistic they will have some presence there, but the top stars won’t be going.
The Best of the Rest
- The most notable quotes from AEW Tag Team Champions The Acclaimed were from an odd exchange with Fightful's Will Washington who is cousins with Swerve Strickland. Washington asked them about some quotes from a recent rap and Max Caster said they will not align with the media or plant stories in the media that they are great like Strickland. Caster said, “The United States media are not my favorite.”
- Saraya put over Britt Baker for carrying her through this program and said she's a star. She praised Khan for being understanding with her process in returning. She said she did some training in the UK and in California as well, but didn’t do heavy bumping until she was 100% cleared. She didn't answer how active she will be. She said there was a lot of prep and check-ins today and everyone was great.
- New interim AEW Women's Champion Jamie Hayter talked about her friendship with Baker and that the best rivals are friends. “I am totally open to wrestling her at any time. If she wants it, we can do it."
- "Jungle Boy" Jack Perry's face resembled a UFC fighter in a post-event press conference. He said the Luchasaurus chapter is done and that he expects to finish with Christian Cage when he recovered. He talked about having to adjust on the fly when jumping off the cage due to Luchasaurus' positioning. He said he heard rumblings on Friday that the match might kick off the PPV and got some extra sleep just in case. As a way to "stick it to Luchasaurus," he said he wore Shawn Michaels inspired gear similar to the 1997 Hell In A Cell match because Luchasaurus always said it was his favorite match.