THE LATEST NEWS
- Two Elias specials to air on WWE Network this month
- ROH Honor for All results: Nick Aldis vs. Flip Gordon
- NJPW G1 Climax 28 night six live results: Goto vs. Ishii
- Flip Gordon loses NWA title match at ROH Honor for All
- Beretta makes return at ROH Honor For All
THE LATEST AUDIO
- WOL: Dr. Lucha, Jimmy Havoc, Steph's big announcement, more! 7/20
- Wrestling Weekly: Hogan's reinstatement and the locker room's reaction 7/20
- B&V&G: Granny, NXT, THURSDAY NIGHT POTPOURRI! 7/20
We're looking for reports on the Raw show in Lexington, KY, Smackdown in St. Louis, the ROH TV tapings in Atlanta (Sumie Sakai vs. Madison Rayne for WOH title, Marty Scurll vs. Kenny King, Silas Young vs. Flip Gordon, Karen Q vs. Jenny Rose and Jay Briscoe vs. Christopher Daniels plus the debut of Jeff Cobb) and NXT in Venice, FL to email@example.com.
NEW JAPAN G-1 CLIMAX TOURNAMENT LIVE AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN SUNDAY MORNING FROM HACHIOJE
- Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. Toa Henare & Shota Umino
- Hirooki Goto & Yoh vs. Toru Yano & Jado
- Tomohiro Ishii & Sho vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & Taka Michinoku
- Kenny Omega & Chase Owens vs. Juice Robinson & David Finlay
- Tetsuya Naito & Seiya Sanada vs. Kota Ibushi & Yujiro Takahashi
- Michael Elgin vs. Yoshi-Hashi
- Evil vs. Bad Luck Fale
- Minoru Suzuki vs. Jay White
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hangman Page
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe
Sunday's schedule includes a Raw house show in Pikeville, KY and Smackdown in Springfield, IL.
UFC ON FS 1 FROM THE BARCLAYCARD ARENA SUNDAY MORNING/AFTERNOON IN HAMBURG, GERMANY
Fight Pass at 10:30 a.m. Eastern
- Damian Stasiak vs. Pingyuan Liu
- Darko Stosic vs. Jeremy Kimball
- Davey Grant vs. Manny Bermudez
FS 1 at Noon Eastern time
- Aleksander Rakic vs. Justin Ledet
- Khalid Taha vs. Nad Narimani
- Emil Meek vs. Bartosz Fabinski
- Nick Hein vs. Damir Hadzovic
- David Zawada vs. Danny Roberts
- Nasrat Haqparast vs. Marc Diakiese
- Marcin Tybura vs. Stefan Struve
- Vitor Miranda vs. Abu Azaitar
- Glover Teixiera vs. Corey Anderson
- Mauricio Shogun Rua vs. Anthony Smith
IMPACT PPV FROM THE REBEL COMPLEX IN TORONTO AT 8 P.M. ON SUNDAY
- Tessa Blanchard vs. Allie
- Johnny Impact vs. Rich Swann vs. Fenix vs. Taiji Ishimori
- Tommy Dreamer vs. Eddie Edwards House of Hardcore rules
- Sami Callihan vs. Pentagon Jr. hair vs. mask
- LAX vs. Homicide & Hernandez in a street fight for tag titles
- Su Yung vs. Madison Rayne for Knockouts title
- Matt Sydal vs. Brian Cage for X title
- Austin Aries vs. Moose for Impact title
Raw is Monday from Cincinnati. Stephanie McMahon will return for a major announcement. Also Roman Reigns vs. Bobby Lashley, winner faces Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam, and Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel vs. Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt for the Raw tag team titles. They are also advertising Lashley & Reigns & Seth Rollins & Braun Strowman vs. Drew McIntyre & Dolph Ziggler & Kevin Owens & Elias, but odds are that match will never happen. There is also a Monday night Smackdown house show in Carbondale, IL.
Smackdown and 205 Live take place on Tuesday in Evansville, IN. Announced so far is Carmella vs. Becky Lynch in a non-title match Hideo Itami vs. Drew Gulak vs. Mustafa Ali vs. TJP for a shot at Cedric Alexander's cruiserweight title.
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: Hogan takes first step towards WWE return
Nearly three years after being fired from the company, Hulk Hogan's return to WWE took a major step forward on Sunday. After Hogan was spotted flying into Cleveland -- which was apparently a failed attempt to avoid him being seen coming to Pittsburgh, where WWE's Extreme Rules pay-per-view was being held -- WWE announced on Sunday afternoon that Hogan had been reinstated into their Hall of Fame.
A look at the ROH/NJPW planned show in Madison Square Garden and the huge ramifications this show could have on the industry is the lead story of a big double-issue of the Observer.
The lead story goes into how ROH/NJPW got the date back after WWE blocked it, why those at Sinclair were always confident they would be able to run the date and their big ace on why they have leverage on WWE.
Find out who was announced, who wasn't and why, as well as ticket prices, and what significant milestone this show can reach that no non-WWE show in history ever has.
Read what happened backstage with Hulk Hogan, talent reactions to Kofi Kingston and Titus O'Neil, what the problems were in how this was handled and the real issues involved. .
Look at the hilarious irony of the new UFC business deal in Russia.
This issue has full coverage of the Extreme Rules show, a look at the upcoming SummerSlam show, a look at the issues with the crowd, plus match-by-match coverage with star ratings and poll results.
Read more on the G-1 Climax tournament with business notes, standings, schedule for the next week, plus match-by-match coverage and star ratings
Also look at yet another rise in WWE stock and why, predictions on WWE future profits, Daniel Bryan talks his future and contract situation, Bryan talks about his in-ring style change, update on Vince McMahon, Dwayne Johnson's latest movie, Bret Hart and Martha Hart argue over Owen Hart, Owen Hart honored this week, and Rousey TV appearance.
Read how a recent FCC ruling affects the growth of ROH.
Also look at the upcoming Bellator welterweight tournament, a look at the participants, schedule and championship plans.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
SATURDAY NEWS UPDATE
- Braun Strowman isn’t on this weekend’s house shows because he’s doing a media tour for WWE in India.
- Hulk Hogan shared a post from Elijah “The Pope” Burke about forgiving Hogan and the friendship they had while working together: “This one hit me really hard!! Thanks Pope,I love you my brother HH”
- Nikki & Brie Bella will be guests on Wednesday’s episode of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
- During an appearance at San Diego Comic-Con to promote the Transformers spinoff “Bumblebee,” John Cena spoke about playing villains in movies and not turning heel in WWE: “I have had a great career in the WWE and for that entire time I have been the good guy and that kind of went into my films so far, and now it doesn’t seem like my character in the WWE will ever evolve into that bad guy role that perhaps a lot of people have wanted; so this is kind of a way for my fans from that aspect of my career to see that side of me. So, don’t expect heel John Cena in the WWE -- that’s Inside Baseball talk for some of you -- but it means bad guy John Cena isn’t happening there, so this is that chance for me.”
- Entertainment Weekly interviewed Cena while at Comic Con.
- WWE released a 10-minute behind-the-scenes video on Seth Rollins from last week’s Extreme Rules PPV.
- WWE looked at the best “ringside rescues” and McMahon family storyline arrests.
- MTV posted video of Dolph Ziggler’s appearance from this week’s Wild 'N Out.
- Night seven of the G1 Climax takes place in Tokyo overnight. Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hangman Page, Minoru Suzuki vs. Jay White, EVIL vs. Bad Luck Fale, and Michael Elgin vs. YOSHI-HASHI are the A Block matches. The show starts at 5:30 a.m. Eastern time.
- While his death was announced yesterday, Brickhouse Brown has yet to pass away as of earlier today. Dave Meltzer notes that Brown, who has been battling cancer, is still gravely ill. Brian Blair tweeted today: "Thank you so much George, but stop the tape. Brickhouse is Mother Victoria just called me to inform me that Brick was still alive and woke up, somehow, last night and said he was hungry. Stay tuned as this is not over, unbelievable!"
- Impact ratings were down a bit for Thursday’s Slammiversary XVI go-home show. The episode averaged 275,000 viewers after doing 284,000 the previous week. The rating in the 18-49 demo was a 0.06, down from last week’s 0.08.
- Kongo Kong vs. Stone Rockwell has been announced for Monday’s Impact tapings in Toronto, while Pentagon Jr. vs. Matt Sydal, Fenix vs. Sami Callihan, Petey Williams vs. Tyson Dux, and Trevor Lee & Caleb Konley vs. The Deaners are set for Tuesday. Scarlett Bordeaux will also debut on the tapings, and Taiji Ishimori tweeted that he’s working them in addition to Slammiversary.
- Impact released the opening video for tomorrow’s PPV.
- Though he wasn’t on yesterday’s Honor for All show, Jay Lethal is wrestling at tonight’s ROH TV tapings in Atlanta.
- Cody Rhodes’ character “Derek Sampson” will officially be returning on season seven of Arrow, which premieres on October 15. Cody dyed his hair black for the role and noted today that he’ll be in multiple episodes of the upcoming season.
- After departing Impact, Sienna returned to Shine last night and was announced as an entrant in their title tournament.
- Matt Taven spoke to Hollywood Life about ROH, how the company has grown during his time there, and next year’s G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden.
- OTT announced Tomohiro Ishii vs. Juice Robinson for their WrestleRama show in Dublin on August 18.
- Brock Lesnar has given his first sample to USADA since entering back into the pool on July 3. If all goes well, Lesnar will be eligible to fight starting on January 8, 2019.
- Luke Rockhold said Lesnar being brought back by the UFC and being treated like a king after his drug test failures represents everything that’s wrong with MMA.
- TMZ reported that Conor McGregor is on the verge of agreeing to a plea deal for his bus attack from UFC 223 media day. The deal would see him avoid jail time and allow him to still come to the United States.
- Frankie Edgar vs. “Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung will headline the UFC’s Fight Night show in Denver on November 10. Cowboy Cerrone vs. Mike Perry is also set for the show.
- ESPN reported that Jacare Souza vs. David Branch has been verbally agreed to for UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden on November 3.
- Alexander Gustafsson said he’ll move up to heavyweight if that’s what he has to do to fight Daniel Cormier.
Daily Professional Wrestling History: The Rock wins WWE Undisputed title
12th Annual F4W Empire Vegas Convention
Greetings friends and fans of the F4W / Wrestling Observer website. It's time to announce the details of the 12th annual F4W / Wrestling Observer Empire Las Vegas Convention~!
This year's event will be taking place in Las Vegas from August 16th to the 20th and will again be in conjunction with WWE's SummerSlam weekend a.k.a. Super China Buffet Day~! There will still be the usual events, but our big draw will be WWE's summer blockbuster PPV, SummerSlam. As per tradition, we will all gorge ourselves at a Las Vegas buffet, and then watch SummerSlam in a rented out movie theater. All information and ticketing prices are available now. Sign up ASAP as spots are limited for some events.
This year will also feature a Future Stars Wrestling show which will include the first ever Granny's Doubles Match Classic! Already booked for the show are the teams Mia Yim & Leva Bates, Shotzi Blackheart & ???, Samantha Heights & Brittany Blake, and Miranda Alize & Kylie Rae. Also appearing will be Kris Wolf along with many more future stars. There may even be a classic star or two making an appearance. You won't want to miss this show! Check out the convention's Facebook page for all additional information.
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!