The Latest News
- WWE Raw ratings up slightly from last week
- Wrestling All-Star Battle to be held at Sumo Hall in February
- Impact TV taping spoilers: Johnny Impact's first title defense
- Will Ospreay resting up, off NJPW Road to Power Struggle tour
- WWE Raw video highlights: Ronda Rousey addresses The Bellas
- NJPW Road to Power Struggle results: Super Jr. Tag League begins
- Sasha Banks, Tamina, Samir Singh return on WWE Raw
- Seth Rollins, Dolph Ziggler added to WWE World Cup tournament
- Battle royal for future title shot taking place at WWE Evolution
The Latest Audio
- WOL: Nick Aldis interview, Raw, Smackdown 1000, more! 10/16
- DragonKingKarl Greatest Kayfabe Tournament: Piper vs. Mascaras 10/16
- WOR: Saudi Arabia, RAW, Smackdown, tons more! 10/16
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: Recapping WWE Super Show-Down
Going into Super Show-Down in Melbourne, Australia on Saturday, it wasn't entirely clear whether it would be more of a major stadium show or a glorified live event. There were elements of both on display at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Without even factoring in entrances or the post-match angle, Triple H vs. The Undertaker was nearly 30 minutes long. It was obvious that they were attempting to deliver on the epic "last-time ever" main event that had been promised.
The biggest show in UFC history took place this past week. Look at the economics, the lessons, what it says about the fan base, the promotion and the regulators in how things escalated into the brawl that took place. Examine how Conor McGregor benefited from the brawl, likelihood of a rematch, as well as all the changes in upcoming cards and the making jokes out of the various championships.
There is also the regular coverage of UFC 229 with a look at the matches and poll results.
This issue addresses the next two major WWE shows, Evolution and Crown Jewel. Look at the issues facing WWE and Saudi Arabia, why the issues are so much deeper than women not being allowed to perform, and the return of Shawn Michaels.
Look at the unrest in New Japan and why morale has done a 180 since the G-1, the Tokyo Dome main event, the Power Struggle show, Chris Jericho in New Japan, and Tanahashi vs. Omega,
Read more on Rey Mysterio's return to WWE, Smackdown 1,000, who is coming to Smackdown 1,000, Kevin Owens injury update, why WWE stock declined so much this past week, notes on potential of ratings on FOX and how that compares to FOX's usual Friday numbers.
This issue has more on the life and career of Hiroshi Wajima, a former All Japan headliner who was one of the greatest sumos of all-time.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
TUESDAY NEWS UPDATE
- According to TMZ Sports WWE, Charlotte and Ric Flair are being sued by Charlotte’s ex-husband Riki Paul Johnson for defamation. The lawsuit centers around the book Second Nature, which she and her father co-wrote and released last year. He alleges in the lawsuit that they wrote multiple false allegations regarding physical and psychological abuse and was intentionally painted as a villain. The suit also mentions WWE, saying that they should be held liable due to their marketing of the book. WWE issued a response to TMZ Sports, saying “We recently received what appears to be a meritless lawsuit and we will vigorously defend ourselves.”
- WWE issued a statement to the New York Post regarding Sports Illustrated’s report that multiple members of the WWE roster (speaking on the condition of anonymity) have expressed discomfort with the idea of performing in Saudi Arabia: “As always, we maintain an open line of communication with our performers as we continue to monitor the situation.”
- John Bradshaw Layfield appeared on Fox Business’ Varney & Co. supporting the idea of WWE continuing with plans to run in Saudi Arabia.
- Both Vice and the Wall Street Journal have written articles on WWE’s relationship with Saudi Arabia.
- DDP is helping out at the Performance Center again this week. He posted a picture that includes Punishment Martinez, who we reported was headed to WWE after he departed ROH.
- The Rock tweeted about SmackDown 1000: “Huge #SD1000 congrats to my @WWE family! Fun fact, in 1998, I said to @VinceMcMahon ‘I’m gonna use the word ‘Smackdown’ tonight in my promo’. He said what’s that mean? I said it means I’m gonna whup some ass. He belly laughed and said say it! The rest was history! #IfYaSmell”
- Michelle McCool reflects on her SmackDown run prior to tonight’s 1000th show.
- Drake Maverick announced on his Twitter this morning that a five way between Cedric Alexander, Tony Nese, TJP, Lio Rush and Gran Metalik is set for tonight’s 205 Live tapings.
- Following last night’s Raw in Philadelphia, WWE announced that they will be returning to the Wells Fargo Center on March 4. The Ticketmaster presale code is RAWPHILLY.
- The Revival defeated Zack Ryder & No Way Jose and Konnor defeated Rhyno on this week’s Main Event tapings.
- Nia Jax, Corey Graves and Renee Young filmed an episode of WWE Ride Along this week.
- Matt Riddle appeared on yesterday’s episode of Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.
- Charlotte spoke to the New York Post about her feud with Becky Lynch and Evolution.
- New Japan uploaded a video with Chris Jericho talking about his actions from King of Pro Wrestling and promoting his match against EVIL at Power Struggle.
- Impact uploaded Abyss’s Hall of Fame induction speech, which you can view here.
- Jericho also wasn’t happy hearing that Don Callis wasn’t used after classic New Japan matches were uploaded with new commentary: “Not using @CyrusOverHuge over huge for ANY AND ALL commentary is a big mistake and just plain stupid.”
- Today is IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega’s 35th birthday.
- Hangman Page has been added to the lineup for ROH’s Survival of the Fittest tournament in Columbus, Ohio on November 4. Tracy Williams, Marty Scurll, Andrew Everett, Jonathan Gresham, Flip Gordon, PJ Black, and Colin Delaney are also set for the tournament.
- NJPW President Harold Meij was dressed as Piccolo from the Dragon Ball series backstage during Road to Power Struggle.
- Laredo Kid vs. Barrett Brown in a special attraction match has been added to the NWA 70th anniversary show.
- Jocephus’ spiritual advisor & Hollywood from the GLOW promotion are facing Jax Dane & Crimson at Sunday’s 70th anniversary event.
- The NWA uploaded Nick Aldis vs. Christopher Daniels from last month’s ROH TV tapings. The match is also available on Honor Club.
- Daniel Cormier admitted in an interview with Luke Thomas that his hand is not at 100% and can’t even close it to make a fist. “You ever had like a jammed finger and you just can’t really pop it?” he asked him. “It kind of like sticks up a little bit more than the other finger. That’s where my hand is right now, so my pointer finger doesn’t close completely. Like, I can’t make a closed, tight fist, but it just feels like if I could pop it, I would be okay.”
- Georges St-Pierre is uncertain about his future in MMA. “The motivation is not the same that it used to be,” he said in an interview with Ariel Helwani. “I don’t have the same motivation to go to the lineup again and to fight my way up to another title. I’m done with this. I’ve done it for so many years." He said he had interest in fighting the right opponent, with Khabib Nurmagomedov's name being brought up.
- Eddie Alvarez has officially signed with ONE Championship.
- Alexander Gustafsson talks about his upcoming match against Jon Jones.
- According to Alex Nurmagomedov, Khabib’s uncle, Conor McGregor’s team offered him $15 million for a rematch, but Khabib said no.
- Chael Sonnen spoke to Luke Thomas following his loss to Fedor Emelianenko this past weekend.
- Dustin Poirier also spoke to Thomas about his match against Nate Diaz that fell through due to an injury, questioning if the match would have ever gone through in the first place.
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk spoke to Ariel Helwani about the whole situation revolving her and Valentina Shevchenko.
- UFC fighter Bradley Scott accepted a two-year suspension for testing positive for cocaine metabolites following a fight back in May.
Daily Professional Wrestling History: Bound for Glory 2011
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!