THE LATEST NEWS
- WWE Tokyo live results: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Daniel Bryan
- CMLL Arena Mexico results: Penta El Zero M debuts
- Io Shirai appears at WWE house show, confirms she's joining NXT
- CEO x NJPW When Worlds Collide results: Omega & Ibushi vs. LIJ
- ROH Best in the World live results: Castle vs. Cody vs. Scurll
- McMahon plans to spend $500 million over first three years of XFL
THE LATEST AUDIO
- Left My Wallet: Mike Sempervive and Sidney Bakabella 6/30
- WOR: Matt Cappotelli death, ROH and New Japan big show reports, Leslie Smith, more! 6/30
We're looking for reports from the ROH TV tapings in Fairfax, VA (Sumie Sakai vs. Hazuki for WOH title, Bushi & Evil & Sanada vs. Young Bucks & Hangman Page, Kushida vs. Jonathan Gresham, Tenille Dashwood vs. Karen Q vs. Madison Rayne vs. Kelly Klein in an elimination match, Kagetsu & Hana Kimura vs. Mayu Iwatani & Jenny Rose plus Austin Aries will be on the show), Raw in Bismark, ND, Smackdown at Sumo Hall in Tokyo, New Japan/Revolution Pro in Milton Keynes, England (Shota Umino vs. ?, Aussie Open vs. Taiji Ishimori & Yujiro Takahashi, Takashi Iizuka & Desperado & Taichi vs. Toru Yano & Jay White & Gedo, Tiger Mask vs. David Starr, Walter vs. Yuji Nagata, Chris Brookes vs. Yoshi-Hashi, Will Ospreay vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii for the British tag team titles), and NXT in Cocoa, FL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday has WWE Raw in Fargo, ND, Smackdown in Taipei, Taiwan and New Japan/Revolution Pro in Manchester, UK (Dan Duggan vs. ?, Yuji Nagata vs. Shota Umino, David Starr vs. Taiji Ishimori vs. Tiger Mask vs. Phantasmo, Takashi Iizuka & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Toru Yano & Yoshi-Hashi, Walter vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Jay White vs. Chris Brookes, Will Ospreay vs. Taichi, Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr., and Tomohiro Ishii vs. Minoru Suzuki for the British heavyweight title).
Monday has Raw in Sioux Falls, SD. Nothing has been announced for the show. There is no Smackdown house show on Monday as it's a travel day coming back from Taiwan.
Tuesday has Smackdown in Omaha with James Ellsworth vs. Asuka announced plus a hint of Cedric Alexander vs. Hideo Itami for 205 Live.
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: Remembering Leon 'Vader' White
The professional wrestling world lost a truly one-of-a-kind figure last week. Leon "Vader" White, the best big man that the industry has ever seen, died on Monday, June 18 after years of heart problems and complications from a recent bout with pneumonia. Vader's son and former WWE developmental wrestler, Jesse, shared the news on Twitter: "It is with a heavy heart to inform everyone that my father, Leon White, passed away on Monday night (6/18/18) at approximately 7:25pm. Around a month ago my father was diagnosed with a severe case of Pneumonia.
WON NEWSLETTER: (July 2, 2018): WWE announces new TV deals, more
The official announcement of the WWE's new television deals for the 2019-2024 television seasons is the lead story in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer.
Find out about the financial figures for each year, what those numbers mean, what it means to WWE profitability, how much the company is now worth and how that valuation as compared to profits compares to other media stocks. Look at how much money Vince McMahon could have made if he didn't sell so much in December.
Look at a very interesting part of the WWE/Fox deal that hasn't been talked about. There are also notes from WWE Co-Presidents Michelle Wilson and George Barrios on the deal, what led to the deal, and how things have changed both regarding the perception of wrestling, its fans and other content ideas WWE has for television and streaming.
Read about the new Bellator deal with the money figures involved, how this changes the game for them, and how the entire game for all wrestling and MMA companies are no different due to these latest deals.
Find out about the situation with Brock Lesnar and WWE, what the goals are for the latest storyline change, plans for the Extreme Rules PPV show and matches announced, matches told to the arena and matches seemingly being built.
Read the update on Rey Mysterio and WWE, Shinsuke Nakamura's injury, Jeff Hardy's injuries and lots of other WWE injury updates, Big Cass, Sami Zayn, Ronda Rousey as well as the amazing contract Oliver Luck got with Vince McMahon and what it says about the XFL.
Look at Minoru Suzuki's 30th anniversary show and match with Kazuchika Okada, the retirement of Rashad Evans, coverage of UFC from Singapore, a look at the PWG Battle of Los Angeles, and the WWE U.K.show.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
SATURDAY NEWS UPDATE
- WDRB News in Louisville, which covered Matt Cappotelli’s battle with brain cancer over the last year, ran a story on their newscast last night about Cappotelli passing away and the strength he showed despite being in such a terrible situation.
- Stephanie McMahon tweeted a statement on Cappotelli’s passing: “#RIPMattCappotelli You showed everyone what it means to never give up and to always stay positive. It was a honor to know you.”
- Lance Storm, who worked with Cappotelli in OVW, wrote a post on Facebook where he shared his thoughts and said he doubts he’s ever met a finer human being than Cappotelli.
- Video of Cappotelli’s emotional retirement speech from February 2006 has been uploaded online.
- Sasha Banks tweeted that she couldn’t make Raw’s house show in Rapid City, South Dakota last night due to her flight getting canceled. She noted that she made it to Bismarck in time for tonight’s show.
- Drew McIntyre also had travel issues but was able to make it just in time by convincing a stranger to give up their seat.
- With WWE being short-handed, Adam Pearce did ring announcing for the first time at the show in Rapid City.
- A new episode of Ride Along featuring Rusev & Lana and Peyton Royce & Billie Kay will air on the WWE Network following Monday’s Raw.
- Jeff Jarrett and Women’s Revolution collections will also be added to the Network on Monday.
- Since this Thursday was the 20th anniversary of King of the Ring 1998 and The Undertaker and Mick Foley’s Hell in a Cell match, WWE ranked the company’s best announcer calls for this week’s video top 10 list. Jim Ross’ call of the HIAC match ranks at number one.
- Charlotte Flair spoke to Yahoo about being included in this year’s edition of ESPN The Magazine’s Body Issue. She said both her and Ric Flair have been blown away by how well Ronda Rousey has done in WWE so quickly.
- Ember Moon threw out the first pitch at last night’s Philadelphia Phillies’ game.
- Shania Twain posted better video of Kevin Owens appearing onstage at her concert in Montreal from earlier this week.
- Kenny Omega issued a statement today following criticism that he’s received for Chasyn Rance vs. Aaron Epic taking place on the pre-show of last night’s CEO x NJPW event. Omega wrote that allowing the match was a “terrible oversight,” apologized to anyone who was truly hurt by the decision, and said he won’t be taking chances with talent that he isn't familiar with in the future. He also said he'd refund anyone who was in attendance that couldn’t enjoy the show because of it. He noted that he offered the dark match to the ring crew/wrestling school that they were working with and didn't decide on the matchup. Rance pleaded no contest in 2011 after being charged with lewd or lascivious battery for allegedly having sex with a 15-year-old girl when he was 25 in 2008. He was forced to register as a sex offender for seven years.
- Omega, Kota Ibushi, and the voice of Kevin Kelly appeared in a commercial for Fire Pro Wrestling World.
- Thursday’s episode of Impact on Pop TV averaged 254,000 total viewers and a 0.06 rating in the 18-49 demo. That’s slightly down from last week’s 262,000 but is the lowest viewership number of the year. Despite the NBA and NHL playoffs being over, Impact hasn’t rebounded back to the positive ratings pattern that they had earlier this year.
- Terry Funk turned 74 years old today.
- The Daily Mail reported that Linda Hogan is asking for Hulk Hogan to be held in contempt of court if he doesn’t pay her 40 percent of the revenue from his businesses, which she says was stipulated in their divorce.
- The second season of GLOW debuted on Netflix yesterday and, like season one, has gotten very strong reviews.
- The National Labor Review Board’s regional investigator informed Leslie Smith’s attorney that her case against the UFC will now have to go through the NLRB’s Division of Advice in Washington DC before they decide whether to file an official complaint. Her attorney commented on the matter: “It is my opinion that the UFC, unable to prevail on the merits, has now commenced the pulling of political strings to evade responsibility for violating the [National Labor Relations Act]. This only means delay, as Leslie will take all legal measures necessary to ensure Region 4’s initial determination stands.”
- Early weigh-ins will remain through at least the Ultimate Fighter finale and UFC 226 PPV next week.
- Josh Barnett’s manager told ESPN that Barnett already has offers from five different promotions since leaving the UFC.
- Michael Chiesa thinks that he would have been offered the lightweight title main event against Khabib Nurmagomedov if he wasn’t injured in Conor McGregor’s bus-incident before the show.
Daily Professional Wrestling History: Cody wins ROH World title
12th Annual F4W Empire Vegas Convention
Greetings friends and fans of the F4W / Wrestling Observer website. It's time to announce the details of the 12th annual F4W / Wrestling Observer Empire Las Vegas Convention~!
This year's event will be taking place in Las Vegas from August 16th to the 20th and will again be in conjunction with WWE's SummerSlam weekend a.k.a. Super China Buffet Day~! There will still be the usual events, but our big draw will be WWE's summer blockbuster PPV, SummerSlam. As per tradition, we will all gorge ourselves at a Las Vegas buffet, and then watch SummerSlam in a rented out movie theater. All information and ticketing prices are available now. Sign up ASAP as spots are limited for some events.
This year will also feature a Future Stars Wrestling show which will include the first ever Gladys Gibson Doubles Match Classic! Already booked for the show are the teams Mia Yim & Leva Bates, Shotzi Blackheart & ???, Samantha Heights & Brittany Blake, and Miranda Alize & Kylie Rae. Also appearing will be Kris Wolf along with many more future stars. There may even be a classic star or two making an appearance. You won't want to miss this show! Check out the convention's Facebook page for all additional information.
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!