The Latest from the F4W Staff
- Kenny Omega added to ROH show in San Antonio
- WWE Q3 financials: Revenue and profit numbers beat expectations
- Jeff Jarrett checks into rehab facility
- WWE NXT results: Women's battle royal; Almas vs. Strong
- WOL: Everything you ever wanted to know about WWE business 10/26
- DragonKingKarl Classic Wrestling Show: More Observer HOF discussion 10/26
- WOR: Huge news show, WWE, New Japan, Survivor Series, so much more! 10/26
- F4D: Smackdown, Geek of the Week, Tom's house, more! 10/25
We're looking for reports on the NXT shows tonight in Spencer, IA and Tampa, FL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPACT AT 8 P.M. EASTERN TONIGHT ON POP TV
- Bobby Lashley vs. Moose
FIGURE FOUR WEEKLY:Figure Four Weekly 10/23/2017: Recapping WWE's unusual TLC PPV
Making the most of a bad situation, Sunday night's TLC pay-per-view provided a fun ending for what must have been a rough week for WWE. Two wrestlers (Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt) being pulled from a PPV due to a viral infection just days before the show is always a bad situation. But TLC being built almost solely around the in-ring reunion of The Shield made the timing especially awful. Having a mediocre PPV is forgivable in the Network era, but WWE knew that they had to give ticket holders worthy replacements.
WRESTLING OBSERVER NEWSLETTER:October 30, 2017 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: WWE TLC reviewed, Survivor Series lineup, plus tons of news
The story behind the illnesses to WWE stars and how the plans went down for Kurt Angle and A.J. Styles to be on TLC, as well as the current Survivor Series card, ideas on huge name additions to the show, and an update on the health status of the wrestlers is the lead story in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer.
Look at the TLC show, with match-by-match coverage, poll results and star ratings. Get the update on the health issues with the missing talent, the story behind HHH working a house show this week, the story behind Balor vs. Styles, previous Balor vs. Styles history, booking that makes no sense at all, and a look at Survivor Series plans.
This issue has an early word on what will be one of the biggest stories of the next year, which are the UFC television negotiations. Also, look at how this is also a huge story for WWE because of all the similarities but WWE talks come one year later.
Inside, there is an update with the WWE television situation as far as the proposed U.K. show, update on Ronda Rousey in WWE and where things stand, update on ideas for new WWE television shows, the WWE vs. ROH head-to-head in San Antonio heats up, Shawn Michaels challenges Johnny Gargano, Jimmy Jacobs talks his firing, lots of news about WrestleMania VIP packages, more on steroids in wrestling and health effects, an update on Nia Jax, the story behind why John Cena never went heel, WWE makes an investment, McGregor and WWE, Nikki Bella update, notes on a trainee that a lot of people are talking about, and most watched shows on the WWE Network.
Read the notes on all of the WWE and NXT events over the past week including business highlights and highlights from the shows.
There is also a feature on former Central States television announcer Bill Kersten, who passed away, as well as Stan "Big K" Kowalski, a Midwest star who passed away.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue, or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
Whatever changes in the landscape temporarily that would result from the WWF going to a lower rated network appear to have been overstated. It was thought that this would be the week for WCW to capitalize, as viewers, used to WWF on Monday nights, would switch to WCW when finding other programming on the USA Network. Even though, due to the court decision coming in late and Viacom not getting nearly the amount of publicity they had planned to hype the debut of Raw,
THURSDAY NEWS UPDATE
Sinclair Broadcasting has come one step closer to purchasing Tribune Media after stockholders of Sinclair voted to approve the $3.9 billion acquisition. This would give Sinclair 42 new television stations and have television in 39 of the top 50 markets. This acquisition would greatly benefit ROH because it would be expected to get television exposure in those new markets. (thanks to Daniel Thomason)
New Japan announced last night that tickets for Wrestle Kingdom 12 via the e-plus English language site are sold out. There will be more tickets available soon. There are still plenty of tickets available at Japanese outlets. Who would have thought that wrestling in 2017 would have geographical limitations on ticket buying.
There are no main brand WWE house shows this weekend. The Raw crew starts back Monday and Smackdown Tuesday, then both go on a two-week tour of Europe.
With the WWE having its strongest quarter of profits in more than a decade, stock closed today at $24.40 per share, up 13 percent.
Impact tonight will feature footage of the Eddie Edwards vs Naomichi Marufuji GHC title match from Japan.
- PWInsider reported the company is planning a major episode of Raw on 1/12 from the Barclays Center which would be the 25th anniversary special for the show that debuted at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York in January, 1993.
- Bill Miekina, the head designer of action figures for the WWE line at Mattel, will be appearing at Ringside Fest on 10/29 with Alexa Bliss, Braun Strowman, Finn Balor and Big Cass with the new 2018 line. He will also be in London on 11/4 and 11/5 at the Wrestling Shop Lie in Leicester Square showing the new product line.
- Chris Jericho on the Barstool Pizza test. (thanks to Barry Werner)
- Linda McMahon talks about lessons she's learned in business from WWE. (thanks to Mike Kuzmuk)
- Conor McGregor will appear on The Jonathan Ross show in the U.K. on ITV at 10:20 pm. Saturday night. (thanks to Matthew Singh-Dosanjh)
- Michael Bisping responds to the lawsuit against him covered in this week's issue.
- The Fight Network will be airing the prelims for Saturday's show in Sao Paulo, Brazil starting at 8 p.m. Eastern time. They will also be airing Glory kickboxing on Saturday starting at 1 p.m. The Glory main event has light heavyweight champion Artem Vakhitov (18-5, 5 knockouts) defending against Ariel Machado (45-8, 34 knockouts) as well as a one-night four-man featherweight tournament for a title shot. They will also be airing M-1 from Russia on 10/27 at Noon, which features former UFC fighters Phil DeFries, Caio Magalhaes and Joe Riggs.
- Gold medalist and 2017 world champion Kyle Snyder is a finalist for the 2017 male Olympic sport athlete of the year award.
- Teri Toledo, a Roller Games star of the 70s, passed away after suffering several strokes this past week. Toledo skated for years and later became a referee.
- KM from Impact will be appearing on "The Kevin James Show" on CBS next week.
- Jessie Godderz from Impact will be in a movie called Days Like This. He's listed as one of the four lead stars in the movie. The movie was produced by Gemelli Films in conjunction with CB3TV.
- Kevin Eck talks to Brandi Rhodes.
- A story on Flip Gordon leading into Saturday's ROH show in Mt. Pleasant, MI.
- CWF on Sunday in Tillsonburg, ONT at the Community Centre at 3 p.m.
- NWX on Friday night in St. Catharines, ONT at the CWF Studios at 20 Hartzel Rd.
- IHWE on 11/5 in Fort Worth at the Ridglea Theater at 6 p.m. has Michael Elgin vs. Shane Taylor, Myron Reed vs Curt Stallion, Anthony Henry vs. Kevin Lee Davidson and more.
- HPW on 11/4 in Columbus, IN at the 4-H Fairgrounds has their 19th anniversary show.
- Justin Shape will talk the state of Irish Wrestling at a Survivor Series party at Buskers On The Ball in Dublin. Fans can watch Survivor Series live and the NXT War Games show right before, with WWE 2K 18 available to play on the big screen.
- Announced for the 11/18 WrestleCircus show in Austin, TX is Brian Cage vs. Keith Lee and Tessa Blanchard vs. Chelsea Green.
- Chaotic Wrestling on 10/27 in Haverhill, MA at the Northern Essex Community College with Ryback vs. Brick Mastone.
- Wrestling with Stigma on 12/10 in Peterborough,ONT at The Venue headlined by Petey Williams.
- PW Eclipse on 11/26 in Oshawa, ONT at the Oshawa Legion 43.
- MCW on 11/25 in Brantford ONT at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 90.
- Alpha One Wrestling on 11/26 in Hamilton, ONT at 222 Queenston Road has Cody Rhodes, DJZ, Keith Lee and Jody Fleisch.
- Combate Americas announced two alternate bouts as well as a new woman's fight for its 11/11 show in Cancun, which will be the first MMA show ever on Telemundo. The woman's fight, at 105 pounds, has Sheila Padilla (3-1) vs. Lisberth Lopez Silva (4-3). It will air on the Telemundo Deportes En Vivo app and Telemundodeportes.com before the part of the show that airs on Telemundo. The alternate bouts for an eight-man one-night bantamweight tournament will be Lavy Saul Marroquin (8-2) vs. Alejandro Abomohor (5-4) and Felipe Vargas (4-0) vs. Jose Calvo (3-1).
- Bellator announced a new app that will allow fans to watch live TV shows as well as the non-televised prelims.
- Lucha Libre on 10/29 at Lee's Place in Toronto at 5 p.m.
- Crossfire Wrestling on Saturday night in Welland, ONT at 1100 Niagara St.
Today in Professional Wrestling History: Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Eddie Guerrero at Halloween Havoc
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com