- Jon Moxley vs. Chris Dickinson to headline Josh Barnett's Bloodsport
- New head writer for WWE's NXT UK brand
- Shawn Michaels to host Balor-O'Reilly face-to-face on WWE NXT
- Update on Mia Yim & Mercedes Martinez's WWE RETRIBUTION names
- Deonna Purrazzo cancels GCW The Collective bookings
- WOL: Retribution names, COVID, MAX SMASHMASTER talks wrestling schools, more! 9/25
- Wrestling Weekly: The Road Warriors & today's missing element 9/25
- B&V: Bryan and Vinny review AEW and NXT head-to-head! 9/24
A look at the Road Warriors, the biggest drawing tag team in pro wrestling history, is the lead story in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. We talk about the birth of the team, the background of Joe Laurinaitis, the early days of Hawk, Animal and Rick Rude in pro wrestling, the role of Ole Anderson and Eddy Sharkey in the story, why the Road Warriors did and didn't work certain territories, why they rarely worked with Bruiser Brody, why they ended up in AWA, JCP, and how they wound up with WWE. We also look at their departure from WWE, Animal leaving wrestling, and their return.
Also in this issue:
COVID in WWE, AEW and CMLL, changes that were made, why AEW and WWE had a breakout in the same week, how AEW is changing its procedures, the belief of how this all started and much more.
G-1 Climax tournament, with an overview of the first shows, this week's lineups, standings, poll results, star ratings and more covering all the first week shows.
Sports news that affects WWE's next television deal as well as shakeups at NBCU that also do. We look at a new WWE marketing idea, Stephanie McMahon's stock sale, why WWE stock fell, Undertaker talks the end of his documentary, changes at NXT UK, What NXT UK talent were told at meeting this week, NXT UK Heritage Cup tournament, former WWE star talked about returning, more on the Retribution storyline, who is doing the rules and the story behind the finish of the Raw match. We also have international ratings notes, WWE up for awards, new WWE marketing ventures, Roman Reigns talks changes in his presentation, Dwayne Johnson talks, why Kane is in the news again, WWE market value as well as a look at the most-watched shows on the WWE Network.
Saturday's UFC show and more thoughts on Colby Covington and the line between playing bad guy wrestler and being offensive is.
WWE's next two major shows with the cards and backgrounds.
Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate show from this past week.
Ratings of all the major shows, the key demos and quarters for AEW and WWE, what happened head-to-head and what can be learned from them.
Results of all the major pro wrestling events around the world over the past week.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to email@example.com or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
FRIDAY NEWS UPDATE
Garrett Gonzalez and I will be doing a news show later today going over the past week. Bryan and I will have shows Saturday night after UFC and Sunday covering G-1 and WWE Clash of Champions. Variety has a very interesting story on the decline in pro wrestling interest which we'll talk about on tonight's show.
Conor McGregor is claiming that he wanted to fight, UFC wanted to wait until they could have fans in the buildings for him to right, he's waited long enough and now he wants to fight Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East.
UFC 253 takes place tomorrow from Yas Island, Abu Dhabi:
ESPN+ at 7 p.m. Eastern:
- Khadia Ibragimov (206) vs,. Danilo Marques (206)
- Juan Espino (255) vs. Jeff Hughes (258)
- ESPN 2 and ESPN + at 8 p.m. Eastern
- William Knight (205) vs. Aleksa Camur (206)
- Shane Young (146) vs. Ludovit Klein (150)
- Diego Sanchez (170) vs. Jake Matthews (170)
- Brad Riddell (156) vs. Alex da Silva Coehlo (156)
PPV at 10 p.m.:
- Hakeem Dawaoudu (145) vs.; Zubaira Tukhugov (150)
- Ketlen Vieira (136) vs. Sijara Eubanks (136)
- Kai Kara-France (126) vs. Brandon Royval (126)
- Dominick Reyes (205) vs. Jan Blachowicz (205)
- Israel Adesanya (184) vs. Paulo Costa (185)
Tukhugov and Klein both missed weight by four pounds and were fined.
Amidst a lot of controversy, CMLL's biggest show of the year takes place at 9:30 p.m. Eastern time on Ticketmaster PPV. The problem is you can only watch it live, which rules me out since I'm taping and otherwise would have watched it tonight after the show. All matches are one fall title matches. Bandido, who was to face Volador Jr. for the welterweight title and is off due to COVID (Templario is the replacement) said he has a slight pain in his chest but otherwise was okay.
G-1 this weekend has shows on Sunday at 3 a.m. Eastern, Tuesday at 5:30 a.m., Wednesday at 5:30 a.m. and Thursday at 5:30 a.m. Sunday from Kobe has an amazing lineup with Jeff Cobb vs. Minoru Suzuki, Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii, Will Ospreay vs. Shingo Takagi and Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White.
Dwayne Johnson said he will write the introduction for Ken Shamrock's Impact Hall of Fame ceremony. A funny story this reminds me of is when Shamrock and Johnson had just started their program, Shamrock told me that Johnson was going to be the next Bruno Sammartino.
New Japan at 10 p.m. Eastern tonight on New Japan World has the first round of their Young Lions tournament with Adrian Quest vs. Blake Christian, Clark Connors vs. Jordan Clearwater, DKC vs Logan Riegel and Danny Limelight vs. Barrett Brown.
- Clash of Champions odds kind of tell you a lot about the show. These are from www.BetOnline.ag Drew McIntyre -120 vs. Randy Orton -120 Roman Reigns -3000 vs. Jey Uso +850 Asuka -1250 vs. Zelina Vega +525 Bayley -600 vs. Nikki Cross +350 Jeff Hardy -125 vs. Sami Zayn +150 vs. A.J. Styles +300 Bobby Lashley -950 vs. Apollo Crews +500 Andrade & Angel Garza -140 vs. Street Profits +100 Cesaro & Shinsuke Nakamura -300 vs. Lucha House Party +200 Shayna Baszler & Nia Jax -250 vs. Liv Morgan & Ruby Riott +170
- Smackdown tonight has a non-title match with Jeff Hardy vs. Sami Zayn, Alexa Bliss vs. Lacey Evans and Roman Reigns doing an interview. This will be notable because Smackdown numbers have increased greatly since the Thunderdome and the returns of Reigns, but last week's show dropped significantly, so we'll see if last week was a fluke or the new level.
- NXT won the first quarter on Monday. At 8 p.m., NXT had 1,205,000 viewers which has to do with its lead in and AEW had 791,000.
- WWE and Hyundai have worked out a promotional deal with a 10-episode series with WWE stars telling stories and making appearances.
- The Takeover UK Dublin show scheduled for Dublin has been moved to June 20, 2021.
- The belief is that the original cause of the outbreak was a coach at the Performance Center but there was also a party where many of the names who have it were at which included both WWE and AEW talent/
- A Memphis Commercial Appeal story celebrating Jerry Lawler's 50th anniversary of his first Memphis match.
- Another Lawler story.
- Entertainment reporter and founder of Reel Talker Jim Alexander interviewed John "Morrison" Hennigan. John talks about his friendship with Dolph Ziggler and doing a movie together.
- Ric Flair will be getting his own Adidas sneaker line. This has been in the works for some time but Flair announced it today.
- Rodolfo Vieira is out with an injury and off the 10/10 show. Dricus De Plessis will replace Vieira and face Markus Perez. Du Plessis is a former KSW welterweight champion.
- Today is the 50th birthday of Hall of Famer Aja Kong.
- Story on Road Warrior Animal. (thanks to Mike Kuzmuk and Barry Werner)
- A story on the Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki fight in 1976.
- Kevin Eck's weekly ROH news column.
- Henry Cejudo is endorsing Donald Trump.
- Donald Trump's administration put sanctions on an Iranian court and several judges regarding the death of wrestler Navid Afkari, who was killed in spite of worldwide appeals for clemency including from Trump.
- A story on Trump being like a pro wrestler in his speeches.
- Wrestle Rampage runs on 10/10 at its dojo in Adelaide, Australia.
- PWA's Colosseum tournament shows in Sydney, Australia in October have been canceled.
- Adrenaline Pro Wrestling in Australia announced they most likely won't be running any shows until 2021 and will also have new management. Sammy Guevara is the current champion with the promotion and it's very unlikely they'll be able to bring him in for a while (thanks to Kevin Chiat)
- On the TV show "Jeopardy" on Tuesday, there was a 200 point question asking before Ronda Rousey was a UFC fighter, she was an Olympic medalist in what sport? The answer was judo and the contestant got that correct. A 400 point question was No bones about it, this UFC light heavyweight champion has a brother who plays for the Baltimore Ravens. The contestant did not get that right. (thanks to Grant Zwarych)
- Expo Lucha will go viral on 10/10 on Masked Republic's Twitch channel.
- The PFL has announced a deal with Wave.tv with its content to distribute on the channel. Wave.tv will air PFL highlights, original short form content, fighter profile pieces and more.
- Synergy Pro Wrestling runs tomorrow night on FITE TV from the Monster Factory in Paulsboro, NJ at 7 p.m. Eastern. Top matches are Brandon Kirk vs. Tony Deppen for the Synergy title, Warhorse vs Frightmare for the IWTV title, and Ace Austin vs Jodan Oliver.
- NFC Atlanta has a $10,000 All Valley No Gi jiu jitsu championship tournament on 10/17 at Elite Edge Fitness. Registration is $100 and it will air on Flo Grappling.
- AIW Thunder in Paradise on 10/9 in Indianapolis, IN at the Marion County Fairgrounds
- A story on a wrestling school trying to stay alive through COVID. (thanks to Mike Kuzmuk)
- SlamWrestling.net has an interview with Josh Crane up today, where he talks about those nutty bouts in Japan where the loser fell into a pit of scorpions or a tank of piranhas, plus upcoming bouts, including the UWFi-style bouts in Paradigm Pro.
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Ronnie Garvin wins NWA World title
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today