- WWE SmackDown doesn't get a post-Rumble ratings bump
- NXT UK results: WALTER makes his WWE in-ring debut
- Five matches set for ROH Bound By Honor: Miami
- NJPW Road to the New Beginning results: NEVER Six-Man tag title match
- ROH TV results: Villain Enterprises in action
- WWE SmackDown video highlights: Bryan unveils sustainable title belt
- Hideo Itami reportedly finishes up with WWE
- WWE 205 Live results: Hideo Itami vs. Akira Tozawa
- SmackDown Tag Team title match set for WWE Elimination Chamber
- Bryan introduces sustainable title belt, Elimination Chamber match set
- Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville added to Women's Tag Team title match
- R-Truth wins United States title on WWE SmackDown
- WOL: Smackdown, Hideo Itami, WWE exodus, WrestleMania, Bryan belt, more! 1/30
- JNPO: Aaron Pico career blame, Badermania, Royal Rumble chatter 1/30
- Pacific Rim: 30 years of Jushin Thunder Liger 1/30
- WOR: NAC hearing, Dean Ambrose, Hideo Itami, more news 1/30
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: Seth Rollins, Becky Lynch win Royal Rumbles
For the second straight year, WWE went with two fan-pleasing choices as their Royal Rumble winners. WWE followed up on Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka's wins from last year by having Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch win their respective Rumble matches on Sunday night. The results were entirely predictable, but that doesn't mean they weren't the right choices. While there are other stories that WWE can tell, top babyfaces beginning their road to WrestleMania by winning the Royal Rumble will pretty much always work.
Our lead story in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer talks about Ronda Rousey and her WWE schedule including how long a time frame of when she has talked of stepping away.
Also, look at the top of the WrestleMania card and what major star isn't scheduled, and what other major star may be having his match changed.
Read the full preview of the Royal Rumble, with notes on ticket expectation, how the market is for all four WWE arena events in Phoenix this week, and the situation with John Cena.
Also, look at UFC's first show on ESPN, the Dillashaw vs. Cejudo aftermath, the Greg Hardy debut, the business notes on the show and what record was set as well as how streaming sign-ups destroyed any combat sport event in history, and match-by-match coverage.
Break down the latest Jon Jones drug test failure and why failing the test actually gives more credence to his story than if he had passed all of his tests.
Examine a fourth generation wrestler training at the Performance Center, what happened with The Revival, lots of WWE contract news, XFL President announced, XFL TV talks, and injury updates.
Look at the major hearing next week in Nevada, California's reaction and UFC's reaction to Jones' test failure.
This issue has a rundown of the final three nights of the Fantastica Mania tour, including why the third night was such an entertaining show, as well as an update on the talent in CMLL and the unique match that came from a movie.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to firstname.lastname@example.org or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to email@example.com.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell,CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
WEDNESDAY NEWS UPDATE
- After WWE confirmed that Dean Ambrose won’t be renewing his contract when it expires in April, Renee Young posted a photo of Ambrose on Instagram and wrote: “This guy. The world is yours, my love. no guts no glory.”
- Rey Mysterio visited Eddie Guerrero’s grave for the first time this Monday: “Always had a hard time wanting to visit Eddie & found myself cowardly refusing it due to the pain & memories from that day.........Finally this past Monday, after 13yrs, I had the courage to visit him and have a one on one moment with him.... & .......exactly what I feared of happening, happened. Memories from that day were flashing through my head but his presence was much stronger and was able to cope and maintain my composure. After my conversation & connection with him I left with a Huge internal Smile and felt a soothing & peaceful [heart]! Eddie has been such an inspiration not only to me but to many & will always continue to do so. I witnessed that day, that future wrestlers who never had the opportunity to meet him took the time to stop by and pay their respects wishing they would of had the honor and privilege to have met him & been around him like many of us did! I truly miss you WeeWeeto!”
- Today is Becky Lynch’s 32nd birthday. WWE released video of Lynch and Bayley giving each other the Four Horsewomen symbol on Raw.
- The WWE Performance Center’s YouTube account has uploaded several videos from Royal Rumble weekend: Kairi Sane, Io Shirai, Candice LeRae, Kacy Catanzaro, Rhea Ripley, and Xia Li learn that they’re going to be entering the Royal Rumble The women of NXT take over the Royal Rumble Aleister Black, Johnny Gargano, and Pete Dunne are in the Royal Rumble Sarah Logan takes part in the War Raiders’ entrance at TakeOver: Phoenix Hanson shares an emotional moment with his brother at TakeOver
- WWE has a photo gallery of Daniel Bryan’s new sustainable WWE Championship belt.
- “Fighting with My Family” has a 79 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes through its first 14 reviews.
- Two WWF Superstars matches from 1992 are being added to the WWE Network’s Hidden Gems section this week. In one of his first matches for the WWF, Razor Ramon faces El Matador. Konnan also wrestles as El Relampago.
- WWE again filmed Mauro Ranallo’s reactions during NXT TakeOver: Phoenix.
- WWE is doing an angle where Tony Nese has been “suspended indefinitely” after attacking Noam Dar in the parking lot before 205 Live. Video of their brawl aired on last night’s 205 Live episode.
- Ariya Daivari wrote about his brother Shawn becoming a producer for WWE: “When I used to do my tryouts, my brother would always ask if people would ‘keep an eye out’ for me. After I got signed, any opportunity I had to bring him to TV as my guest, I would. I wanted to return the favor. Thankfully, it helped land him his new role. Congrats bro!”
- Impact Wrestling and MLW announced that they’re coordinating with each other to make sure there won’t be any booking conflicts and fans can make their WrestleMania week shows on April 4. MLW’s TV tapings will take place at the Melrose Ballroom in Queens, New York at 7 p.m. Eastern time. Impact will now partner with WrestlePro for a show called “United We Stand” that will take place in Rahway, New Jersey, begin at 11 p.m. Eastern, and air live on Twitch. Impact’s Scott D’Amore said in a press release: “Due to the New York curfew preventing us from starting at 11:00 p.m. ET, we have moved our live event to New Jersey. We want to thank our partners at WrestlePro for facilitating this collaboration on April 4th and also thank House of Glory and stress that we couldn’t make this happen for our great fans without their cooperation. We look forward to working with House of Glory in the near future and will have an announcement coming soon about a future event together.”
- Willie Mack has been announced for ROH’s TV tapings in Lakeland on February 9 and HonorClub show in Miami on February 10.
- Mark Haskins tweeted that he suffered a partial tear in his calf but should only miss a couple of weeks and is still going to February’s ROH shows in Florida: “Suffered a partial tear in my calf recently. It's already getting better so shouldn't be out for more than a few weeks. Still going to be in Florida next weekend @ringofhonor Got Lifeblood peeps to represent #Squad”
- Tickets to the Crockett Cup will go on sale to HonorClub members at 10 a.m. Eastern time on February 6 and to the general public at 10 a.m. Eastern on February 8. The show is taking place in Concord, North Carolina on April 27.
- AAW has a “Thank You Trevor Lee” video with some brief footage of his farewell to the promotion.
- Dana White thought the Nevada Athletic Commission was too harsh in their punishment of Khabib Nurmagomedov: “I was obviously surprised how much they put on Khabib. It was a half-million dollars and six months if he does some PSAs. They had the whole thing contained in seconds. It was a little harsh in my opinion. It is what it is.”
- Conor McGregor, who received a six-month suspension and a $50,000 fine for his role in the post-UFC 229 brawl, tweeted about yesterday’s disciplinary hearing: “I am thankful for the Nevada athletic commissions fair assessment and handling of the brawl incident. It was not my intention to land the final blow of the night on my opponent’s blood relative. It’s just how it played out. I look forward to competing again soon. Thank you all.”
- Dustin Poirier wants a fight against McGregor or Tony Ferguson next or for the UFC to redo his contract: “It's gotta be Tony or Conor or we redo my contract. Otherwise I'm not fighting. This company is #1 bullsh*t”
- Artem Lobov has been granted his release from the UFC.
Daily Pro Wrestling History: WWE Royal Rumble 2005
Ed in San Antonio presents the WRESTLEMANIAWeekend Events (more to be added):
- Sunday, April 6th, at 12:00 pm: Lunch (all you can eat) at Churrascaria Plataforma ($90 per person), located at 316 W. 49th street in Manhattan. Purchase tickets here~!
- Luxury Bus to MetLife Stadium for Wrestlemania: We will depart from the Hilton Midtown (site of Wrestlecon) located at 1335 Avenue of the Americas. Departure time is 4:00 pm and will return from MetLife approximately 30 mins after the event. Times are subject to change, and cost $67.00 per person for the round trip. Purchase tickets here~!
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!