Skip to main content

Report: Roderick Strong's multiple requests for WWE release denied

The 38-year-old has been in WWE since 2016.
Roderick Strong

The last remaining member of the Undisputed Era and founding member of the Diamond Mine reportedly wants out of WWE.

Fightful reported Monday that former NXT North American Champion, Cruiserweight Champion and Tag Team Champion Roderick Strong has asked for his release multiple times over the last several months, but those requests have been denied.

In the report, they said "we're told that Strong has grown frustrated with many things over the past year within the company and had requested his release, which has been denied by WWE."

Strong (Chris Lindsey) has been in WWE since 2016, essentially spending all of it in NXT. 

Fightful noted that Strong re-signed with WWE shortly before being pitched the Diamond Mine idea less than a year ago. The original concept was himself, Tyler Rust, Arturo Ruas, Hideki Suzuki, Malcolm Bivens and his wife, Marina Shafir.

Shafir, who was never included, was cut in June 2021 and has since begun to work both in AEW and the indies. Ruas was also released and never included.

Rust, Suzuki (Hachiman) and Bivens were the original members with Strong. Rust and Suzuki were eventually replaced by The Creed Brothers, Ivy Nile and Tatum Paxley after they were cut. With Bivens' release last week, Strong is the only remaining original member of the group. 

They also said NXT sources claim the 38-year-old was pitched a name change at some point, but he opposed the idea.

Fightful reported that WWE sources confirmed the news, but that Strong is part of their creative plans. He is said to be professional despite not having his request granted.

While Strong made his main roster debut in 2005 in a two-minute Kurt Angle invitational match, he made his post-signing main roster debut in February 2018 in the Cruiserweight title tournament on 205 Live, eventually losing in the semifinals. He also appeared in the Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia that year and a handful of main roster bouts since then.

Starting in January of this year, Strong worked three dark matches prior to SmackDown in addition to making his Main Event debut. He was also part of an NXT UK taping earlier this year, working a pair of matches.