TKO exec addresses UFC passing on Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano: ‘More of a stunt than a meaningful MMA event’

Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano | Netflix

TKO head Mark Shapiro is now on the record regarding why the UFC passed on the Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano fight that aired on Netflix this past Saturday.

Speaking at the JP Morgan Global Technology, Media and Communications Conference Monday, Shapiro said the reason UFC passed on Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano was it “more of a stunt than a meaningful MMA event” and one he thought wasn’t good for the sport after how it played out.

“(Netflix) wants big spectacle events and they saw this as a big spectacle event. We’re in the true MMA business on a meaningful, consistent basis. When we looked at this potential matchup, keep in mind there’s a real art and skill to matchmaking….The answers (he & Ari Emanuel) got back (from Dana White & Hunter Campbell) were that fight will be over in 20 seconds,” he said.

“I don’t believe a fight like that, just the way it played out, is really good for MMA especially because it’s Netflix and such an incredible global audience…that is going to sample, depending on what comes up on the front page, to go to that fight and think that’s what MMA is, I don’t believe is good for the sport long term. “We saw it that way and decided to pass on it,” while adding he didn’t want to take anything away from Rousey, her win, or the viewers the broadcast got.

There wasn’t much in the way of WWE news coming out of the 30-minute conversation other than Shapiro putting over ESPN in how they are promoting PLEs and that they are looking forward to when YouTubeTV finishes their authentication process with ESPN Unlimited. That was reported as hopefully being completed in August or September.

He did say that “We’ve added some cards for NXT because we we think have a couple stars that are about to pop and we want to give them more stage time, if you will.” Based on last week’s announcement about WWE house shows returning this summer, it appears more than likely he meant young talent called up from NXT that need more in-ring work on the main roster, hence the house shows.

TKO remains bullish on the Middle East for events, saying their partners want more events and “want to show the world they are still open for business.”

He talked about how title fights on UFC numbered events make them distinct from Fight Nights, signaling to consumers that it’s “something different” and that Paramount’s ad spends reflect that as well. When it comes to the PPV era, he said, “We’re past that” and want to be accessible to the broadest audience possible.

They are continuing to plan for UFC Freedom 250 and how it will be a big week for them with corporate partners and such. Attendance is going to be at 4000 people: 2900 White House and TKO guests and 1100 military members and their families. He did point out that U.S. president Donald Trump is a WWE Hall of Famer.

Overall, they are looking to get to $400 million in TKO site fees (what they call financial incentive packages”) due to a “pretty clear-cut strategy” in that they have premium content that is in demand and that “there needs to be government and private financial incentives that reflect the economic and cultural impact we bring to these cities and regions.”

Josh Nason
Josh Nason

Since 2011, Josh has been a contributing editor to Wrestling Observer/F4WOnline.com and also hosts the Punch-Out podcast. He has also written for Fight Magazine, Bloody Elbow, Bleacher Report, and other websites. He's a 2000 graduate of the University of Maine, worked in pro sports, and once was an indie ring announcer.