About Us  |   Contact

Florida drops charges against Conor McGregor for cell phone incident

Former two-division UFC champion and sometimes retired Conor McGregor has one fewer legal issue to deal with as charges stemming from an incident with a cell phone outside a MIami nightclub were dropped Monday.

In late-March, 22-year-old Ahmed Abdirzak allegedly had his cell phone destroyed and stolen by McGregor as he exited the Fountainbleau in the early morning hours. Abdirzak brought a civil suit against McGregor for than $15,000 in damages stemming from the incident, but dropped the suit in April.

Florida assistant state attorney Khalil Madani said Abdirzak's attorney told his office he had "been made whole" by McGregor, and concluded that Abdirzak had "credibility issues" due to him changing his sworn testimony:

"Based on the witness’s credibility issues, his unwillingness to respond to a subpoena and the inability of the witnesses to testify as to his subjective mindset, the State of Florida cannot prove the charges against Mr. McGregor beyond a reasonable doubt.”

McGregor had been facing one charge of felony robbery and one charge of misdemeanor criminal mischief.

Despite retiring on Twitter earlier this year, UFC president Dana White expects McGregor to fight again but with many of his options booked up or soon to be booked up with fights, there's no realistic timetable for his return.