About Us  |   Contact

Georges St. Pierre responds to Michael Bisping's UFC 206 challenge

GSP

In the ongoing 'will he or won't he' story of Georges St. Pierre resuming his UFC career, the answer for now is still no according to GSP himself.

The former UFC welterweight champion released a short video on Twitter Wednesday where he addressed UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping's recent tweets openly asking for the fight.

St-Pierre said nothing would make him happier than to fight Bisping at December's UFC 206 in Toronto, CA, and that he met with new UFC head honcho Ari Emanuel and Dana White last week. While he said he made peace with White, nothing was resolved so for now, the fight isn't happening but that "hopefully, things will change soon."

The 35-year-old GSP has been out of the sport since a controversial split decision win over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in November 2013. A bit of a public feud with management ensued after he alluded to retirement and didn't give White or then-UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta a heads-up about the decision.

St-Pierre had made rumblings about returning to the UFC this year, but White was very non-committal in interviews about the possibility of him coming back, often saying it simply wasn't going to happen because GSP didn't want to come back.

The prevailing thought is that St-Pierre's deal with Under Armour is conflicting with the UFC's exclusive Reebok deal, raising contractual issues over compensation. Recently, St-Pierre told Ariel Helwani he was a free agent due to a contract clause, but the UFC shot that down the next day.

The strange story of a super-popular former UFC champion on the outside looking in will continue.