- AAA notes: GCW stars attack Vikingo, Marvel Disney Plus show announced
- WWE Main Event results: Carmelo Hayes, Von Wagner in action
- WWE Day 1 canceled, more changes for 2023 PLE schedule to come
- Two wrestlers advance in NJPW World TV title tournament
- Rhea Ripley returns to in-ring action at WWE house show
Latest Free YouTube Video:
This Week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter:
- October 17, 2022 Observer Newsletter: Bray Wyatt returns at WWE Extreme Rules, Jon Moxley re-signs with AEW
- Match and performer of the week
- The Bray Wyatt return, speculation, numbers, comparisons to Punk
- Full coverage of Extreme Rules and business notes
- Jon Moxley signs five-year deal, the signing of Renee Paquette, how his situation changes and how it stays the same, plus why he did so, why he wasn't looking at signing at one point and will he work indies
- The fight for the rights to Antonio Inoki's name now that merchandise is expected to be huge
- How Inoki was pushed from a young age
- Inoki vs Bruno
- New Japan Declaration of Power full coverage
- Upcoming New Japan events
- Impact Bound for Glory coverage
- Ross Hart looks at the Cauliflower Alley Club banquet
- TV ratings from the last week, including international numbers and streaming numbers
- What show set its all-time viewership record in the U.K?
- How Raw & Dynamite rank on cable for the week
- Preview of TripleMania
- NOAH announces major show
- PWG returns
- Ronda Rousey key speaker at Gene LeBell funeral
- AEW gets major vote of confidence
- Update on status of Young Bucks, Kenny Omega and C.M. Punk
- Ticket sales for upcoming WWE, AEW and UFC events
- Vince McMahon documentary news
- Upcoming contenders for Roman Reigns
This Week's Retro Observer Newsletter:
- September 5, 2005 Observer Newsletter: Pride Final Conflict recap, Chris Jericho announces WWE departure
Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to firstname.lastname@example.org or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to email@example.com.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
Sunday News Update
Bryan and I will be back tonight with Wrestling Observer Radio talking WWE television, Day One, Triplemania, Smackdown, Rampage, Bray Wyatt, Ariel Helwani and many other subjects.
In the New Japan TV title tournament today in Nagaoka, KENTA beat Hirooki Goto and Sanada beat Taichi. Fans were allowed to cheer at the show so the atmosphere was good.
Regarding the report on Day 1 being canceled and not held coming up by Brandon Thurston, multiple WWE sources have not confirmed or denied the report. We had reported a few weeks ago that they were considering a date change for the show due to major football games in Atlanta on both 12/31 and 1/1.
The bouts we've heard about as the top of the weekend are Sanada vs. Taichi, El Hijo del Vikingo vs. Rey Fenix and Villano IV vs Pentagon Jr. from TripleMania last night and while actually a match from last week, FTR vs Aussie Open from London was put up on New Japan World.
We are sorry to report the death of Humberto Garza Sr., the grandfather of Humberto Carrillo and Angel Garza, and father of Humberto Garza Jr & the late Hector Garza. Garza Sr., who was a major star in the 50s, 60s and early 70s, particularly in Monterrey, was 85.
Right now WWE is talking about more international PPV events and less gimmick shows in 2022.
The G4 television station is being shut down by Comcast due to low ratings. Xavier Woods has worked as a host on the station and there was a WWE x G4's The Arena show on the station that also featured WWE performers.
Jose Rivera, who was one of the biggest stars of the 70s in the WWC in Puerto Rico, also passed away this week. Rivera had wrestled in WWWF, but is not Jose Luis (Mac) Rivera who wrestled there in the 80s. Rivera was part of a legendary tag team with Carlos Colon, and the Colon & Rivera feud with Dutch Mantel & Cowboy Frankie Lain in 1979 is generally considered among the hottest feuds, if not the hottest, in the history of Puerto Rico.
WWE results from last night in Phoenix:
- Madcap Moss b Happy Corbin
- Hit Row b Maximum Male Models
- Raquel Rodriguez b Shayna Baszler
- Drew McIntyre b Karrion Kross in a no DQ match after Kross crashed through a table
- Butch & Ridge Holland b Ludvig Kaiser & Giovanni Vinci
- Liv Morgan b Sonya Deville
- Braun Strowman & New Day b Usos & Sami Zayn
Hulu is once again listing WWE content leaving the service in ten days other than Smackdown which is on Hulu through a separate deal.
El Furioso, who was dressed up Hulk in the Marvel match at Triplemania (this didn't air on the PPV) was injured last night. He's better known as El Dragon. He was hospitalized and in stable condition. He for a time was unable to move his extremities. He will be undergoing surgery tomorrow. He put up a photo of himself with a neck brace and message saying that everything is in God's hands.
Pagano, who took some outrageous falls, is still among the ranks of the living no matter how much he tried to destroy himself last night against Cibernetico. In fact, he wrestled Joey Janela today.
As far as Google trends go, nothing in pro wrestling or MMA cracked the top 20 this week. Nothing from yesterday's UFC show did and you can really see the interest level in these ESPN+ shows with no marquee value is very low as it used to be every UFC show cracked the list and now more and more that's not happening. There were three boxing references yesterday with Deontay Wilder No. 8 with 500,000, the Devin Haney vs. George Kambosos Jr., fight No. 9 at 100,000 and and Claressa Shields No. 16 with 50,000.
We're looking for your thoughts on last night's TripleMania show, so you can leave a thumbs up, down or middle along with a best and worst match to firstname.lastname@example.org
We're also looking for reports on these shows:
- NXT Friday night in Largo, FL
- NXT Saturday night in
- WWE last night in Sioux City, IA
- WWE tonight in Topeka, KS
- We're looking for results, finishes and any other highlights.
A story about Titus O'Neil vising a school to see a fourth grader who has battled cancer (thanks to Mike Kuzmuk)
Results from the AAW Jim Lyman tournament last night in Chicago: Gnaris Garvin b Hakim Zane, Davey Vega b Masha Slamovich (said to be very good), Fred Yehi b Yamato (said to be best match of the tournament and excellent), Josh Alexander d Ace Austin 20:00 (aid to be excellent, Russ Jones & Schaff b ?, Sierra b Heather Reckless, Jah-C & Manders b Conan Lycan & Solomon Tupu, Gnaris Garvin b Fred Yehi in 17 seconds after Manders attacked Yehi before the match, Mike Bennett b Ace Perry, Jake Something b Dante Leon (said to be excellent), Gnaris Garvin b Davey Vega to win the tournament. (thanks to Case Lowe)
EPW from Friday night in Western Australia: Lucas Fantasia b Rogan Karguis, Zenith b Elijah Henry, Taylor King won Rumble, Davis Storm b Jarrad Slate, Bruno Nitro b Joel Hagan to win Coastal championship, Julian Ward b Mikey Nicholls to keep the EPW title in a ladder match. They are running their 21st anniversary show on 12/17 headlined by Ward vs. Taylor King vs. Michael Morleone for the title. (thanks to Kevin Chiat)
Steph De Lander, the former Persia Pirotta, is booked for Newcastle Pro Wrestling on 12/9 in Australia. This would be her first Australian booking since being cut by WWE.
British legend Marty Jones will be at the Southern Territory Wrestling show on 11/12 in Western Australia as a judge in a submission match with George Milanko vs. Cannon Connors. Mikey Nicholls and Carlito are also on the show.
MCW from last night in Joppa, MD: Moses b Demarcus kayne, Bobby Fish b Mike Walker, Black Wall Street b Alex Divine & Angel Alvarado, King McBride b Kekoa in a last man standing match, Leila Grey (AEW) & Gia Scott (Impact) b Mandy Leon & Ray Lyn, Rob Locke & Myles Hawkins & Brandon Scott ? Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin & Joe keys, Alec Odin b Tim Spriggs-DQ, Action Andretti b Brian Johnson to win MCW title.
IWS from last night at Club Unity before 400 fans including Minoru Suzuki's Canadian debut: Benjamin Tull b Matt Falco to win the IWS title, Kristara & Dani Leo b Melanie Havok & Katrina Creed, JT Producer & Shayne Hawke b Sexxxy Eddy & Bob Anger, Steven Mainz b Alex Maze, Green Phantom b Ben Ortmanns to keep the Canadian title, Best King FTM & Zak Patterson b Jason Petitlcerc & Karl Jepson, Minoru Suzuki b Kevin Blanchard (thanks to Pat Laprade)